The upper church of Ieud, inscribed in UNESCO's World Heritage List, is made of fir tree wood. Historians have failed to agree on the date of its construction. The most cautious suggest the 17th century. Others date it as far back as 1364 and deem it to be the oldest in Maramures.
The interior frescoes were made by Alexandru Ponehalski, one of the most active church painters in Maramures.
The painting in the pronaos depict the Last Judgement, where the blaze of the inferno is about to engulf the sinners. In the attic of the church, an important discovery was made: the Codex of Ieud, a document dating from 1391, which is generally considered to be the oldest example of written Romanian.
The lower church of Ieud was erected in 1718, just after the last raid of the Tatars. It is one of the largest wooden building in Romania, that is why it is called by some "the wooden cathedral." The church preserves a rich collection of icons on glass originating from Nicula and other Transylvanian painting centers.