The wooden church of Plopiş is also part of UNESCO World Heritage and is devoted to the Saint Archangels Michael and Gabriel, whose celebratration every year is held on November the 8th.
The village of Plopiş, situated in the Cavnic Valley, is first mentioned in documents in 1583, as a settlement belonging to the Chioar Fortress.
The inhabitants of Plopis were renowned for their carpentry skills and the fruits of their labors can be found throughout the county. In 1798 the villagers began construction of a new church meant to replace their older house of worship. On the 12th of November 1811, to the joy of the 49 founder-families, the new church was completed.
A document drafted on the occasion of the church's dedication was later found in the abutment of the altar. It was here 49 coins, deposited by each family of the village, were also discovered.
Despite the relatively modest dimensions: 17 m in length, 7 m in breadth and 47 m in height, the church at Plopis is remarkable for its well-balanced proportions, giving credence to the opinion that the church is one of the most united and integrated religious constructions in Maramures.
The inscription at the back of the altar icon certifies that the church was painted by Stefan the Painter, in 1811.